About Freeze Happy

June 20, 2008

I've tried it. Many of you have tried it too. Those make-ahead-dinner companies that seem like a dream come true. Save time, money and get all of your meals cooked and ready in one afternoon.

The problem?

Unfamiliar recipes....recipes my family wouldn't really eat.
Incomplete meals...these places only offer the main dish.
Expense...paying for a facility & employees drive up the cost.

So I set out to do it on my own. I read everything I could about freezing meals. What freezes well. How long will it keep. Food safety standards. Collecting and testing recipes.

Shortly after beginning my fact finding, my sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. After going through radiation, her recovery time would make it difficult to get meals on the table for her husband and four children. I bought supplies, wrangled recipes and all of the knowledge I had acquired and at the end of two days I had made enough main dishes, sides and desserts for her family to last for 6-8 weeks. It was great (although they were guinea pigs for a few new recipes that didn't exactly pan out...sorry guys!) and they had a home cooked meal every night for over a month.

After teaching a few local classes on this and sharing recipes with many friends, they all requested a website with cataloged recipes and tips. So here it is! A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you? Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.



So, just who is writing this?

I am a 30+ year old wife and a mommy of three little girls, Ella (5), Evangeline (3) and Bianca (newborn). I live in Lancaster County, PA with my hubby Matt, where he works as a Health Administrator and where I am a Stay-At-Home-Mommy and a part time Professional Photographer.


I am an artist. I oil paint, knit, sew and do various other crafty things along with a bit of graphic design (mostly for business blogs). I would much rather play with fabric than cook a dinner, although I am a serious foodie.

Freezing meals gives me time to play with my kids, my crafts, my girlfriends and my hubby. And what's more valuable than time?

12 comments:

Liz June 21, 2008  

fun stuff! I'm happy to see you started this blog. I'll be sure to read, cook, and freeze along.

Amy June 23, 2008  

I am super excited to have found your blog! I love freezer meals and I feel the same way you do about cooking. I will be checking back frequently for more recipies! Thanks!

Kim June 24, 2008  

I am so excited for this website.....I am getting the ingredients to make the tamale pie & chicken parmesean....more recipes please!

Martha June 25, 2008  

This is fabulous!!! How about a vegan or vegetarian dish? I would love to make a few to give to a friend who's due in a month, so she can have a meal ready to go.

Frostygrandma October 19, 2008  

I just bought a freezer and am thrilled to find your website. I was searching for a site with good practical advice. Thanks

Anonymous,  December 10, 2008  

This is great! I too just bought a freezer and would like to fill it by cooking in batches and saving myself from exhaustion....I don't get home from work until close to 8pm and have no desire to cook, so am hoping that this will be a life-saver for me.

Anonymous,  January 05, 2009  

Excellent, we have 5 kids, 3 cats, 1 bunny, and a few various businesses ran from our home. Thank you, this is a great site.

Anonymous,  February 05, 2009  

Holy crap - do you sleep? I am amazed with your energy and ideas - no wonder you are so busy - I will definitely be following this blog since I am totally lame in the dinner dept. Thanks for the great resource!

Anonymous,  March 18, 2009  

You are a blessing! Thank-you for sharing these great ideas with us. May all the good you spread come back 2 ya!

Kaleena

Jess July 14, 2009  

Just stumbled onto this site via Serious Eats - what a great idea! I am somewhat obsessed with freezing home cooked meals for future meals to the point where I've been accused of turning into a "crazy freezer lady". I'm so happy that this site exists!

The Mueller Crew January 11, 2010  

I did a google search for beef pot pie and stumbled upon your site! I am so glad I did, it is now bookmarked!

Anonymous,  June 04, 2011  

I cannot thank you enough for your recipes. I am due in a week, and spent most of this last week cooking about 10 of your recipes (my favorite is the meatballs, followed by enchiladas, chk penne pasta and really all are SO YUMMY!!). I hope you feel better with your health, you have been a God sent blessing to me with these recipes. I am ready for Baby now :-)

~ Alina

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal of this blog is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you?

Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.

Legal Stuff

Copyright © 2008-2010 Emilie Ahern. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author unless otherwise noted and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP