Freezing Cooked Rice

July 17, 2008

Rice can take quite a significant amount of time to cook, especially the brown rice that we like. And I hate the taste of quick rice. So you will be happy to know that you can freeze rice for later!
You just need to follow a few important steps before freezing to ensure the quality is still good when you go to thaw and re-use it in a later dish.



Instructions:
- Cook your rice as usual.

- Allow to cool at room temperature, then place in refrigerator. Allowing the rice to chill will avoid the problem of mushy rice when you thaw it.

- After the rice is chilled in the fridge, transfer rice to freezer bags by one or two cup incriments. Label and freeze.


To Reheat: simply thaw in refridgerator and reheat in microwave!

6 comments:

The Sonboul's July 28, 2008  

this is the coolest idea every!

introspectiion March 31, 2010  

THANK YOU! I have a rice cooker which I LOVE, but I cook mostly for myself and even the smallest batch of rice is a little much for me. Now I can make my rice and freeze the leftovers for later without worry...awesome.

DessertForTwo August 20, 2010  

Wow! I had no idea it was possible to do this! Thanks a million! Now I don't have to wait 50+ minutes for brown rice! You're the best :)

Conference Call CEO February 22, 2011  

Going to try this with last night's Chinese take out leftovers! Thanks for posting.

Anonymous,  February 26, 2011  

I have been looking for a website like yours that offers freezer ready recipes for a while now! Great information and recipes for a full time business owner and full time student. Thank you!

abd July 19, 2011  

Thx so much! Will be traveling and my dog needs to have rice in her diet for the next two weeks. This will make preparing for her caregiver SO much easier (and no excuse for my pup not getting just what she needs ... ) Thx again ... off to buy more freezer bags!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal of this blog is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you?

Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.

Legal Stuff

Copyright © 2008-2010 Emilie Ahern. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author unless otherwise noted and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP