Savory Breakfast Muffins

June 1, 2009

I found this recipe online and tried it out. It was fabulous!
It was originally posted by Lightly Toasted on Recipe Zaar.

I love the idea that you have filling and hot breakfast ready in just seconds for those morning when everybody is rushing out the door. I am going to make a bunch of these (with ham instead of sausage) for ballet mornings at my house when I am prone to grab a bagel sandwich at McDonalds.


Savory Breakfast Muffins

makes 10 jumbo muffins

1 lb chorizo sausage or bulk breakfast sausage
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup cornmeal
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 c. chopped green or red bell pepper
1/2 c. finely minced onion
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese



To Prepare

1. Line muffin tins with paper liners, and set aside.
2. Fry, crumble and drain sausage. (omit this step if using ham)
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Mix together bisquick, cornmeal, eggs, garlic powder and milk.
5. Add drained sausage, diced peppers, onions and cheese. Stir well. (You may choose to saute the peppers and onion with your sausage for a milder taste).
6. Ladle the filling into the prepared muffin tins, filling almost to top.
7. Bake for 11-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.


To Freeze

- Store in freezer in a large airtight container. Or place each in a sandwich bag, and then place a dozen in a large ziploc bag.


To Serve

- Microwave on high for approx 90 seconds.

15 comments:

just another mama June 02, 2009  

I found your blog initially looking for freezing brown rice. I tried it and have permanently replaced my frozen organic brown rice from TJs!
This sounds great, looking forward to trying them out! Seems more often than not I'm skipping breakfast and habitually run 10 minutes behind these days...

Anonymous,  June 03, 2009  

mmm... these sound delish!

nikkipolani July 14, 2009  

This looks fantastic! I much prefer a savory breakfast over cereal and milk.

Lindsey S,  July 15, 2009  

I just found your blog and it looks like i am gonna be hooked! THANKS! :o)

Anonymous,  November 02, 2009  

I went to make these this weekend and realized the instructions never say when to add the peppers, onions, and garlic powder. Are they suppose to go in when you are browing the sausage? Or just in the batter? Thanks!

Unused Account November 02, 2009  

Thanks for letting me know Callista. I updated the recipe.

Anonymous,  November 02, 2009  

Thanks soo much!

Anonymous,  November 12, 2009  

I made these, froze them, and then they were gone! Need to make a double or triple batch next time! LOL! the hubby loves them!

Unknown March 07, 2010  

Has anyone reheated in the oven? If so, how long?

Zaira April 26, 2010  

How would one make these without bisquick? Anyone know what exactly is in one cup of bisquick? Thanks!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking June 27, 2010  

I made these today for my husband's weekday breakfast at the office, and they are SO delicious! I added a little bit of green and red pepper, chives, and spicy sausage. He loves them, and so do I!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking June 27, 2010  

I made these today for my husband's weekday breakfast at the office, and they are SO delicious! I added a little bit of green and red pepper, chives, and spicy sausage. He loves them, and so do I!

Anonymous,  January 09, 2011  

I just made these for the freezer again. LOVE these so much!!

Unknown April 24, 2011  

These are so great! I am gluten free, so I used Pamela's Gluten Free Bread/muffin mix instead of the bisquick and they turned out wonderful! What a great breakfast treat :)

Heidi Smith May 17, 2011  

these look really good! just wanted to post though and say if someone is looking for a lower carb alternative, Bob's Red Mill make a phenomenal low carb bisquick type mix.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal of this blog is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you?

Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.

Legal Stuff

Copyright © 2008-2010 Emilie Ahern. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author unless otherwise noted and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP