REAL Whipped Cream On The Go!

March 9, 2009

This tip is dedicated to my Mother, the whipped cream champion of the world. I don't think Cool Whip passed my lips until I was in my 20's.

FREEZING REAL WHIPPING CREAM
You can freeze real whipping cream and use it to top deserts and hot cocoa and anything else you can think of, without having to whip an entire container of whipping cream every time!

1 cup heavy cream/whipping cream (the WalMart house brand is wonderful)
1 tsp granulated sugar

- In a large bowl combine ingredients and beat with hand mixer until it begins to form peaks. (That means when you stop the beaters and lift them straight out of the cream, a peak forms and folds over slightly...as shown below.)



- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Dollop whipped cream onto the cookie sheet in single-serving sizes of your preference. If you want to get really fancy and impress your Mother-In-Law, pipe whipped cream out using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip*.

- Flash freeze on cookie sheet. Then transfer to a ziploc freezer bag or freezer container.

To Serve: You only need a few minutes to allow it to thaw, which you can usually do right on the dessert.



*Please Note: Now, I'm going to tell you this because I love you and we've reached a certain level of trust in our relationship. Please, if you must pipe, don't make the common mistake (spurred on by legions of Semi-Homemade With Sandra Lee fans) of just snipping the edge off of a plastic bag. This results in a very unattractive snake-like appearance which, when piled into a deviled egg or topped on your delightful dessert, looks remarkably like kitty poo. I'm sorry, I just had to say it.


(Don't do this)

17 comments:

Stephanie March 09, 2009  

Thank you! I needed this recipe yesterday ... saving it for the next time around. :)

Trish March 09, 2009  

Thanks for the great idea and tip! ;)

I will have to do this becasue I really loathe cool whip, but always seem to go to it in a pinch.

Scary Mommy March 09, 2009  

LOL! Sandra is the devil. Awesome tip!

Simones Kitchen March 10, 2009  

It must be my sick mind but your last remark on the kitty poo... just made me laugh!

Shasty March 12, 2009  

Love your site ~ it's inspired em to host a freeze day for moms from our Mothers of Preschoolers group. Any advice recipes you recommend?

Angie March 19, 2009  

Kitty poo...oh, you're so funny...because you're so right. Now I know what to use my 40% off coupon for...I really need a pastry bag for frosting my stuff.

Kathryn September 26, 2009  

I feel a little sheepish asking this, but how do you "flash freeze" something? (It sounds like something that requires liquid nitrogen, lol.)

Unused Account November 20, 2009  

KATHRYN - find it in my "Definitions" Section here.

http://www.freezehappy.com/2008/10/freezer-vocabulary.html

Anonymous,  May 24, 2010  

I don't normally leave comments, but I had to first say thank you for your helpful advice by helping me not waste a wonderful bowl of delicious whipped cream but also for making me laugh out loud. I am sooo guilty of using the plastic bags and now feel shamed into buying a real pastry bag!Good writing.

the mighty guin July 02, 2010  

Hi! I love your site and have a quick question: my family has always done whipped cream with a touch of vanilla extract (the real deal, none of that "imitation" stuff). Would such a mixture still freeze well?

Anonymous,  October 18, 2010  

Thanks for this suggestion - never thought of freezing my leftover whipped cream!
And love the comment about kitty poo - will remember it forever I guess!

nora November 28, 2010  

Hi Emilie,

Thanks for the great tips and explicit directions of what to do, and what not to do!!!

Love it
anita and nora

Anonymous,  January 13, 2011  

thanks for this....I have whipping cream that "expires" in two days and hated to throw it out....now I can avoid buying cool whip for VDay treats.

Soccerdad,  March 15, 2011  

Great, but why plug walmart? With their labor practices they really don't deserve your dollars.

Unused Account March 15, 2011  

I wasn't plugging WalMart per say, I just find their whipping cream to be affordable and very high quality.

Each reader may choose to buy whichever whip cream they feel ethically inclined to buy! :)

Anonymous,  July 07, 2011  

Can I freeze unwhipped cream in small containers and then whip after defrosting?

Mary,  July 24, 2011  

Reply to 'anonymous' about freezing whipped cream: I bought a quart size container and split it into two smaller containers and froze them for a later date. When I was ready to use one, I thawed it in the fridge overnight and tried to whip it the next day.
Didn't work. It thickened up only slightly, but would not get to 'peak stage'. I've always chilled the stainless steel bowl and mixer beaters and added 1 T. sugar and 1/2 t. vanilla to the pint size and it's always turned out great. So, in the future, I'll try the technique of whipping it first, then freezing in dollops. From others' comments, that seems to work best.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal of this blog is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you?

Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.

Legal Stuff

Copyright © 2008-2010 Emilie Ahern. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author unless otherwise noted and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP